Friday, July 1, 2011

Cheap Thrill: Japanese Cakes

Pin It Now!
I first noticed these small pancake/cupcakes in the streets of Opon in Lapu-Lapu City. I found them interesting and I asked the boyfriend to buy some after having brunch at Senyang's. It was just out of curiosity that we tried the cupcake-looking pancakes. When you get to the small stall that sells these stuff, it says "Japanese Cakes". So, who would not be intrigued?

The pack of "Japanese Cake" that we ordered. Credit to the boyfriend for the photo.

The good thing about these "Japanese cakes" is that it sells for P5 only. You'll have two flavors to choose from: chocolate and cheese. Just last week, I noticed that they are already selling milk flavor which I haven't tried yet.

Just imagine a pancake shaped like a sandwich-like cupcake. It's like there are two cupcakes withe a filling at the middle. It is actually made from this electric stove that is similar to the one used in frying kikiam, fishballs and the likes in cafeterias. But instead of a single deep frier, imagine holes that seem like molds for cupcakes. There are about six of these molds in a single electric frier.

Chocolate filling on the left. Cheese filling on the ring. Credits to the boyfriend.


I like the taste of the "Japanese Cakes". It's like pretty much the same thing with pancakes except there's no butter or honey to top it. I think it's a fun way of eating pancakes the handy way. Moreover, it's just cheap and affordable and a good idea for snacks.

What's interesting is that it reminds me of the cake/hopia that Doraemon used to it except this one's bigger. They also look the same. Another thing is that I've only seen "Japanese Cake" stalls around Lapu-Lapu area. There's one near St. Alphonsus  Catholic School and near Pajo National High School. I'm not quite sure if they are also around Cebu City.

No comments:

Post a Comment